Healthy chips & dip? Could it be possible? Of course it can. Homemade sweet potato chips and roasted garlic cilantro hummus are a perfect pairing. In spring we should really be making all the effort we can to eat healthy, but we can still celebrate days like National Chips & Dip Day! The chips are extremely simple to make. You can even use a knife to slice them thinly. They crisp up super well in the oven, as long as you follow along carefully! I try not to use oil if it is not needed. I have found replacing the olive oil with water works just as well to create perfectly creamy hummus. Give this recipe a try to tame those chips & dip cravings!
Roasted Garlic, Cilantro Hummus with Cajun Sweet Potato Chips
// Dip //
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 can of garbanzo beans
- 1/4 cup of water
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of cumin
- 1/4 cup of cilantro
- 3 tablespoons of raw honey
// Chips //
- 2 small sweet potatoes
- 1 teaspoon of Cajun seasoning
- 2 teaspoons of olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 400'F
- Take the 3 cloves of garlic & wrap them in tin foil by simply placing them in the middle and pushing the sides up. Pinch to close. Roast them in the oven for 15 minutes. Allow to cool.
- Wash the sweet potatoes under cold water. Using a knife or a mandolin slicer, slice the sweet potato into very thin rounds, approxiametly 1/8 of an inch. Once all of the chips are sliced, place them into a large bowl. Mix them with the oil and Cajun seasoning until they are evenly coated.
- Lay the slices on to a parchment lined sheet tray in a single layer. Do not overlap the chips as they will bake unevenly. Bake them in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes. You have to flip half way through the cooking process. Be sure to watch the chips so that they do not burn.
- While the chips are baking, you can begin making the hummus. Wash your can of garbanzo beans until completely clean of the soapy liquid. Place them in a food processor with the roasted garlic, pepper, salt, cumin, cilantro, raw honey, & water. Process until smooth and creamy. You may need to scrap the sides of the bowl with a spatula. Scoop the hummus out into an air tight container and place it in the fridge.
- Once the chips are done, allow them to cool. If you plan on saving this snack for later, do not cover them in a container. They will get soggy. You can put them in a brown paper bag.
- Serve the hummus cold next to your delicious Cajun chips! You will be surprised how flavorful this snack truly is!