Oh, high school. Every morning I would wake up exactly 15 minutes before the bus pulled up to my fog coated driveway. I'd slowly stride into the dark kitchen where I would make my coffee and oatmeal in a to-go coffee cup, all tire eyed. Then I'd rush to do my decent makeup and hair before actually running out the beige door to the icy hearted bus driver.
Oatmeal still makes me dwell on those hasted, gloomy mornings. But on the positive side, it taught me how to make quick oatmeal like a pro. Well, if there was ever an oatmeal professional, I'd guess I would be it. This oatmeal topped with candied nuts is too die for with energy galore and autumnal flavor.
Stepping into pumpkin week with my fifteen minute pumpkin oatmeal recipe is a great way to start the series. I will be posting Monday through Friday afternoon with a new recipe featuring everyone's tried and true favorite of fall, pumpkin. These won't be your average pumpkin pies and pumpkin lattes, so be excited for the new presence pumpkin will have in your kitchen!
Fifteen Minute Pumpkin Oatmeal with Candied Cinnamon Cashews
// Oatmeal //
- 1/2 cup of steel cut oats
- 1/2 cup of organic apple cider
- 1 cup of water
- 3 tablespoons of pumpkin puree
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- 1 tablespoon of brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
// Nuts //
- 2 cups of unsalted cashews
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon of cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons of brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- Preheat your oven to 400'F.
- Whisk the egg white, cinnamon, brown sugar, & salt together in a small bowl. Toss the nuts in the mixture and pour onto a sheet tray. Bake for 10-15 until the liquid has bubbled up.
- While the nuts are baking, put all of the oatmeal ingredients into a small sauce pot. Turn the heat to medium. Allow the oatmeal to reduce and cook stirring every few minutes.